Welcome Prospective Scholarship Recipients
To apply for an academic scholarship from the Swim with Mike Foundation simply follow the process via our application portal.
About the Scholarship
In 1981, the first event, Swim For Mike, was held to raise money to purchase a specially equipped van for three-time All-American Swimmer Mike Nyeholt following a motorcycle accident that paralyzed him from the chest down. The swim-a-thon was so successful that at the request of Mike, excess funds were used to create the Physically Challenged Athletes Scholarship Fund to offer scholarships to student-athletes that had experienced similar tragic accidents. It was the only one of its kind in the country.
Since 1981, Swim With Mike has become an annual event held at Uytengsu Aquatics Center at USC, and satellite events have followed at college campuses across the country. What started with Mike's decision to help others who had experienced similar life-altering accidents, has become a Ripple Effect.
The Ripple Effect continues to this day because of you as a prospective candidate and we invite you to apply to become a valuable member of the Swim With Mike family.
Documents you Will Need
- A Personal Statement. Please tell us about yourself. Include how you learned about the Swim With Mike Foundation and how you will support the foundation as a scholarship recipient and as an alumni recipient.
- Three letters of recommendation
- Verification of your disability from a medical professional
- Unofficial transcript of high school or previous college work
- Current digital photograph
- Resume to include your community involvement and hobbies
- Have participiated in organized athletics (high school, collegiate, or club) prior to illness or injury
- Have suffered an illness or injury resulting in a physicaly disability, which substantially limits daily activity (e.g. paralysis, blindness, cancer, amputation, or head injury)
- Meet the admission requirements of a four-year or graduate-level institution
- Make satisfactory progress towards your degree after college or graduate school acceptance
- Maintain a minimum of 2.5 GPA cumulative and be "in good academic standing" at your accredited school
- Demonstrate financial need